cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert <t...@lunartek.com>
Subject jmx libs and wrappers
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:02:16 GMT
<intro>
JMX is a standardized framework to uniformly instrument disparate
chunks of Java code in a JVM.  JMX can be used to load, start, manage,
monitor and stop software components in a standardized way.  There are
more and more J2EE containers that continue to adopt JMX as the default
instrumentation layer.  Several systems use the JMX environment to
communicate between components and by doing so can load and unload
components at runtime where the Bean interface is the same, but the
implementations differ.
</intro>

<background>
For basic JMX functionality the interfaces are well described and are
therefore somewhat portable across implementations.

What is not well described nor portable are the JMX Connectors.  There
is an emerging RI for remote management, but it is not released and
therefore does not meet with standard for cocoon to only use production
released components.  Implementing any JMX infrastructure now will
require some customized code to utilize the specific connectors
provided to access its JMX implementation.  The impacts can be
mitigated by implementing a layer that mimics the JMX Remote API, which
is looking as if it is somewhat stable.
</background>

What are the restrictions for the libs we can use within cocoon?

Can I use Sun libs, or Sun RI libs for basic jmx functionality?  JMX
libs are also available from IBM and jboss (although the jboss ones are
gpl'ed).

Does it matter if I use an ANT get task to download the lib from
ibiblio.org?

My first pass will probably be an XML descriptor that can be used to
describe the properties that the MBean (Managed Bean) should expose.  I
wont add in any of the auto-loading, distribution or module
collaboration via a jmx back-plane until I see more of the
cocoon-blocks.

Cheers all,
Thor HW