cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Digital Video Amarcord
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:29:04 GMT

On Saturday, Oct 11, 2003, at 06:01 Europe/Rome, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> I started processing the GT video tapes.
>> Each talk is about 50/60 minutes long, DV compression is about
>> 10Gb/hour. Means that I have to process 60Gb of stuff.

>> It needs 8 hours per hour on my G4 1Ghz (at max processing quality).
>> This means that it would take me 1.5 CPU days!!!! to encode the GT,
>> plus another few days to upload it. hope my CPU doesn't melt down.
>
> Do you have a dvd burner?  Maybe it'd be better use of bandwidth to
> just burn it and mail it to the servers (they're here in the states,
> right?).

they are going to be something around 400Mb at the current encoding
bitrate (164Kbps). A CD would be enough, but doing the math

  400Mb / 256Kbps = 3,5 hours

I doubt it that snail mail can be that fast ;-) [I thought it was much
worse yesterday]

Actually, know what? the encoding is so slow that I could transfer
while encoding .... hmmm, does anybody know how to do this? like a
SSH-thru symlink?

--
Stefano.