cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:58:19 GMT
Le Jeudi, 9 oct 2003, à 10:41 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
> ...Which tool do you guys recommend? I prefer something that works for
> all
> platforms and doesn't require hours of registration or installation and
> is firewall friendly.

Dunno. We'll have to try I guess, and not get stuck in toolsmania.
I tested Cocinella and Babylon last year and they both looked good, but
didn't use them on actual projects.

My dream would be a system where a group can create X whiteboards (like
one per Bugzilla issue for the FirstFriday), and see thumbnails of all
of them on a single web page. Clicking on one of them would show it
full-page (or start an applet) and allow you to interact with it.

On a functional level, each whiteboard must allow for sharing text
(code excerpts for example) and maybe simple drawings (boxes and arrows
are enough I think).

As you mention, the whole thing has to be firewall-friend (and lazy-ass
friendly ;-).
Going to the right webpage should be enough.

www.quicktopic.com is a good example of an instant discussion tool, but
uses the "linear discussion" instead of the whiteboard model.

I won't have much time to look for such tools in the next weeks, but if
someone wants to do some research...go for it!

I'd also be interested in following/mentoring students willing to work
on such tools for diploma or similar work. Please contact me offlist if
anyone's interested.

-Bertrand