cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] what cocoon forms lack
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:59:34 GMT

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 01:17 Europe/Rome, Andrzej Jan Taramina
wrote:

>> now, what do you think?
>
> I think that following/supporting the XForms standard, which seems to
> be
> getting traction, would be a good thing.
>
> Not sure the world needs YAFF (yet another forms framework).
>
> Or is the NIH syndrome rearing it's ugly head here? ;-)

No and the fact that we started with implementing xforms shows it
pretty well.

The XForms standard is a client-side technology. There *is* a block
that implements form handling in cocoon, but we moved away from it
because of its design limitations on the server side.

BTW, it is entirely possible to use xforms as the presentation markup
instead of HTML. You can even use XForms inside FO and have a PDF
serialization library come up with PDFForms and some javascript
built-in that sends back the XML-ized form. You can do many things.

Simply put, Xforms was designed as a client side technology, and we
support it that way. (just like we do with cinclude and xinclude where
cinclude is for the server side and xinclude is left for the client
side)

--
Stefano.