cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] SourceRepository and davmap
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:06:37 GMT
Talking about perfect timing ;-)

On Thursday, Oct 30, 2003, at 15:46 Europe/Rome, Unico Hommes wrote:

> I'm in the process of refactoring and furthering the davmap samples in
> the WebDAV block. Methods that I've added are DELETE and MKCOL, and
> will
> be adding a PROPPATCH in the following few days and look into LOCK,
> COPY
> and MOVE methods as well. I've also made some general improvements to
> PROPFIND, PUT and GET. All these have been tested using XMLSpy as
> WebDAV
> client (somehow couldn't get eclipse WebDAV integration to work yet).

Awesome.

> One of the things I have done to make my life a little easier is define
> a service called o.a.c.c.repository.SourceRepository in the repository
> block. It basically reuses the idea from the SourceRepository in the
> linotype block but instead of being a JVM-wide static it is a container
> managed singleton. Apart from being able to obtain a SourceResolver via
> the ServiceManager instead of via
> CocoonComponentManager.getCurrentEnvironment - which will be absent in
> 2.2 - and do better logging I think this will also allow us to hook in
> interesting stuff such as monitoring.

Uh, very cool. How can I use this from Linotype? I would love to get
rid of the repository class in the linotype block.

> Each method the service defines returns an integer describing the exit
> status of the operation. This exit status closely follows the WebDAV
> specification (RFC 2518). Now I think that this could map very well to
> other editing environments like linotype as well which is why I put it
> in repository for the time being.
>
> I know many of you have a lot of ideas about all these things so if
> people are interested in this, I'd like to hear what you think.
> Criticism, questions, suggestions, disagreements, any kind of remark
> really that will be qualitively constructive is very much welcome.

I just love the idea of having a much more solid "repository" class for
linotype to use. Even better would be the ability to have such
repository polymorphic and packaged as an avalon block that I (from
linotype) can simply lookup and use... and using full IoC, linotype
does care if its writing on disk or writing on a WebDAV server a
thousand miles away.

This is the first step for Doco (and for allowing me to edit my weblog
locally and rsync between webdav servers) so any help in this direction
will be MOSTLY welcome!!!

keep up the great work!

--
Stefano.