cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Digital Video Amarcord
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:34:04 GMT
I started processing the GT video tapes.

Each talk is about 50/60 minutes long, DV compression is about
10Gb/hour. Means that I have to process 60Gb of stuff.

I have everything on tape, luckily enough, because I have only 20Gb of
disk left ("only 20gb of disk", can you believe that I thought that?
god)

I'm encoding using iMovie, pretty cool, very simple to use and very
efficient. Final Cut Pro or AVID Digital Studio are another planet, but
hey, cutting and post-production here is *really* simple ;-)

I'm encoding with DivX 5.1 beta, shaky and slow as hell, but it seems
to be portable across all systems.

It needs 8 hours per hour on my G4 1Ghz (at max processing quality).
This means that it would take me 1.5 CPU days!!!! to encode the GT,
plus another few days to upload it. hope my CPU doesn't melt down.

I encoded at video at single pass, constant rate, 320x240, 100kbps and
audio at mp3 16bit 22Khz 64kbps mono.

Video artifacts are terrible when there is some motion (divx is really
poor at small bitrate) but audio is pretty good.

Interesting enough, encoding video at 200Kbp didn't change the picture
much (artifacts were reduced, but still not good enough to see
anything, so I left them like that).

Expected size per presentation is around 50Mb/60Mb, which isn't bad at
all.

In case you have suggestions, yell now because each mistake is 8 hours
of processing :-(

I'll make the first talk available tomorrow, after merlino (my laptop)
finishes crunching it to night.

and then I'll wait for comment before moving on.

time to go to bed now.

--
Stefano.