cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:50:05 GMT
Le Samedi, 11 oct 2003, à 17:19 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> ...my point is that we should make it hard for people to edit stuff in
> the repository directly...

Ok, I see the idea.

There's one additional concern though, which was undelying in my
suggestions: it should be as easy to fix the docs as it is to fix the
code, meaning that it must be real easy for a committer to change one
line in a given document/LO, without necessarily needing to start a
heavy client, wait for ages on "build docs" or something.

This has played a big part in the success of the wiki I think: if one
sees a mistake there, it is quicker to fix it than to send mail to the
list asking for a fix.

Doesn't have to do with IDs directly, but should be taken into account
in the overall design of the system.

>> ...  2003.332.221
>>
>> is much more easier to read (and to spell out) than
>>
>>   2003332221
>
> do you seriously think we'll get to 2 billion learning objects? that's
> wishful thinking ;-)

You were the one to start with this:
http://cocoon.apache.org/cocoon/LO/3948494, which is still a large
number isn't it ;-)

Anyway, the exact for of IDs need not be decided now, as you say:

> ...I have no problems in whatever ID schema we use, even something
> similar to ISBN or UUID or tre-numbers-dot format of IP addresses,
> anything is good as long as it doesn't overlap concerns about
> identification and titleing.

ok.

> ...please people, *STOP* thinking at those things as files and as a
> repository (CVS, WEbDAV, whatever) as a thin layer on top of a file
> system... these are just implementation details.

ok, why not move to repository-based docs if we have the resources
(=volunteers) do to it.

-Bertrand