cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system (was: [RT] Updating the website)
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:58:15 GMT
Le Samedi, 11 oct 2003, à 14:11 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> ...I think the documents should have a *numerical* identifier that
> equates them with a URI.
>
>  http://cocoon.apache.org/cocoon/LO/3948494

I like the "unique ID" idea, OTOH not having descriptive names makes it
hard for people to locate the appropriate file to edit in a directory,
decode CVS change messages, etc.

How about naming files like

   3948494-some-descriptive-name-for-humans-here.xml

Where what follows the first dash is ignored by the publishing system
(which will need to check the uniqueness of IDs then)?

> ..where "LO" stands for "learning object".

hehe ;-)

>> ...-create a very simple publishing system for now (Forrest
>> probably?), until the new docs system moves forward
>
> a first step could be the introduction of files that contain
> navigation structure. They could also be xslt processed to generate
> .htdocs file for mod_rewrite instructions so that we don't expose
> those URI directly but we wrap them with nicer-looking addresses.
>
> [it's the static equivalent of a lookup]...

Sounds good.

>> P.S. We need to find a name for this new doc management system - I'm
>> low on ideas noew but maybe CDMS? Cocoon Documentation Management
>> System?
>
> -1 for acronyms.

Actually I don't like them either ;-)
But we need to name this thing at some point.

-Bertrand