cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving towards a new documentation system (was: [RT] Updating the website)
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:58:15 GMT
Le Samedi, 11 oct 2003, à 14:11 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a
écrit :

> ...I think the documents should have a *numerical* identifier that
> equates them with a URI.

I like the "unique ID" idea, OTOH not having descriptive names makes it
hard for people to locate the appropriate file to edit in a directory,
decode CVS change messages, etc.

How about naming files like

Where what follows the first dash is ignored by the publishing system
(which will need to check the uniqueness of IDs then)?

> ..where "LO" stands for "learning object".

hehe ;-)

>> ...-create a very simple publishing system for now (Forrest
>> probably?), until the new docs system moves forward
> a first step could be the introduction of files that contain
> navigation structure. They could also be xslt processed to generate
> .htdocs file for mod_rewrite instructions so that we don't expose
> those URI directly but we wrap them with nicer-looking addresses.
> [it's the static equivalent of a lookup]...

Sounds good.

>> P.S. We need to find a name for this new doc management system - I'm
>> low on ideas noew but maybe CDMS? Cocoon Documentation Management
>> System?
> -1 for acronyms.

Actually I don't like them either ;-)
But we need to name this thing at some point.

View raw message