cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [OT] Digital Video Amarcord
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:57:02 GMT

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 08:47 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003, at 18:37 Europe/Rome, Andrew Savory wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> that would rock. don't know if there is a SMIL player for linux,
>>> though.
>>
>> Realplayer8 will (just about) do it. We'd already decided here that
>> we'd
>> re-record David's presentation (with all powerpoint effects and a
>> steinway ;-) and use it as an exemplar of fun with SMIL ...
>
> sounds good. question: does "helix code" include support for SMIL?

Don't know.

>> but I guess if
>> all of us were hacking on all the presentations, it shouldn't take too
>> long....
>
> Hmmmm, does anybody know if quicktime can *save* SMIL? [it can read
> it, AFAIK]

If you open a '***.smil' in QuickTime Player, you can 'Save As ...' a
composite '***.mov' (which optionally includes all it's parts in one
file). You /may/ need QuickTimePro to do this. I don't believe this is
reversible.

Side Note:
Unfortunately RealPlayer SMIL and Quicktime SMIL use different
extensions (and associated namespaces) and are therefore incompatible
<grrr!>.

Geeks appear to hate having RealPlayer installed, QuickTime is not
available for Linux.

So maybe the SMIL idea was not that great :)

regards Jeremy

PS. I have sample QT SMILs I made for my students if you want something
to play with.