cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: [OT] Digital Video Amarcord
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:57:02 GMT

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 08:47 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003, at 18:37 Europe/Rome, Andrew Savory wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> that would rock. don't know if there is a SMIL player for linux,
>>> though.
>> Realplayer8 will (just about) do it. We'd already decided here that
>> we'd
>> re-record David's presentation (with all powerpoint effects and a
>> steinway ;-) and use it as an exemplar of fun with SMIL ...
> sounds good. question: does "helix code" include support for SMIL?

Don't know.

>> but I guess if
>> all of us were hacking on all the presentations, it shouldn't take too
>> long....
> Hmmmm, does anybody know if quicktime can *save* SMIL? [it can read
> it, AFAIK]

If you open a '***.smil' in QuickTime Player, you can 'Save As ...' a
composite '***.mov' (which optionally includes all it's parts in one
file). You /may/ need QuickTimePro to do this. I don't believe this is

Side Note:
Unfortunately RealPlayer SMIL and Quicktime SMIL use different
extensions (and associated namespaces) and are therefore incompatible

Geeks appear to hate having RealPlayer installed, QuickTime is not
available for Linux.

So maybe the SMIL idea was not that great :)

regards Jeremy

PS. I have sample QT SMILs I made for my students if you want something
to play with.

View raw message