cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Unico Hommes" <Un...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: About (XPath)TraversableGenerator
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:40:20 GMT

Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> > The limitation is that generate() throws a
> SourceNotFoundException if the input Source is not a
> collection. I'd like to use this generator also to view some
> meta information on <collection:resource>s without having to
> generate all of the contents of its parent and then
> harvesting only those things I need. (the davmap sample would
> also benefit from this feature as it could reduce the number
> of traverse2propfind transformation sheets from two to only one).
> >

> Agreed. That behaviour came straight from the DirectoryGenerator, I
> think there is no particular need to keep it. I don't know,
> though, if
> some users are already depending on the "directories only" contract.

OTOH, the TraversableGenerator is still a in the scratchpad area. If we want to ever change
this we should do it now. If someone protests we could make the behavior configurable.

> > The bug is that the input sources are not tested for their
> existence wich means that it is perfectly legal to specify a
> non-existing source as the input source.
>
> I don't see the point here. Care to delve a bit more?

If you do:

<map:generate src="myresource" />

but myresource does not exist, it will not be an error but xml will be generated just the
same.

> > One last thing I'd want to know is about the way
> XPathTraversableGenerator locates xml files for xpath
> inspection. According to the docs "it will perform an XPath
> query on every XML resource, where "xmlresource" is, by
> default, any resource ending with ".xml", which can be
> overriden by setting the (regexp) pattern "xmlFiles as a
> sitemap parameter." A more general way would be to use the
> o.a.c.e.Context object's capabilities to map files to mime
> types and then apply xpath inspection on all "text/xml"
> types. This way all container-wide mime mappings (such as
> those parsed in from web.xml) are used.
>
> That might be just OK, as long as all others behaviour remain...
> sometimes mime-types mapping is not applicable.

OK, I could make it a conjunction: xml resources are those that either have a mime mapping
according to the Context object or that match the pattern that is passed in as a sitemap parameter.
Or I could make it an exclusive disjunction: only look at the Context object if sitemap parameter
is not
specified.

Wich one do you think is preferable?