cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Rogier Peters" <Rog...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Related Documents, MapTransformer and Topic Maps
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:23:31 GMT
-----Original Message-----
> From: Upayavira [mailto:uv@upaya.co.uk]
>

> Conal Tuohy wrote:
>
> >Rogier Peters wrote:

<snip/>
> >I've done some experimental work with Topic Maps in Cocoon -
> using XSLT
> >to harvest TMs from other data sources, merge them, and then
> to render
> >them as web pages with "related links". See for example
> >http://www.nzetc.org:8080/tm/corpora.html for a TM-based
> view of some
> >of our website that shows some of these relations but virtually no
> >actual content
> >(warning: it's very slow).
> >
> >I think the technology holds a lot of promise, and could be
> particulaly
> >useful in things like Forrest, but we will need some extra
> components
> >before they will be readily used in Cocoon, particularly a
> >TopicMapMergeTransformer, and some kind of TM-oriented templating
> >transformer for rendering. I haven't had a chance yet to
> deal with it,
> >but it's on my list of things to do :-)
> >
> >By the way, did you realise that the tm4j project actually already
> >includes some Cocoon components?

No, I didn't - thanks for the info.

Forgive me if the following is a little hazy ;)

I've seen some sites useing topicmaps as site structure - and I recall
reading about some basic topicmap implementation for websites.
But I was thinking more of topicmaps as a general repository of topics
and relations, queryable by sitemap components - hence the
TopicMapTransformer. Maybe it would even be possible to create
on-the-fly queries. Something like, when looking at a webpage about a
book, you can say: I want to see webpage on other books in the same
genre but not by the same author and published after 2002.
TopicMapTransformer then queries topic map and shows results.
Some may say: if you want to express relations why not use a relational
database, but I like the abstraction (tm4j runs on a hibernate backend,
too), plus it's xml.

> >Cheers
> >
> >Con
> >

> The chap leading a project (probably that one) on topic maps
> was active on the Forrest-dev list recently.
>
> Regards, Upayavira
OK, I'll browse through the archives there