cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Separation of Blocks and Avalon
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:00:08 GMT

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 19:22 Europe/Rome, Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been following the block design discussion and wiki evolution
> with great interest for a couple months now (blame Geoff).  Blocks
> look wonderful, and I can't wait to develop my cocoon based
> applications as blocks.
>
> I have a concern about the bundling of exposed avalon services with
> blocks.  Specifically, in the recent thread about "Finishing the First
> Phase of Block Design" and on
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=BlocksDefinition I see some
> duplicated effort.  As Stephen McConnell noticed, some of this
> functionality is already built, tested, and maintained in several
> avalon containers.  Why not package avalon blocks/services/components
> in the way the container expects, and include them somewhere like
> /COB-INF/lib or /COB-INF/public/lib?  Or, even cleaner separation can
> be had in some cases by deploying them to the avalon container
> independently.
>
> If things are done this way, the problem noted in the thread I
> mentioned above could be completely avoided.  There would be no need
> to expose classes through the block interface because all java would
> be exposed as avalon services.
> I think this would simplify the block design greatly, and allow us to
> focus on cocoon-specific aspects.

Let me see if I get this right: you are proposing that we make cocoon
blocks
somewhat extend avalon blocks and we have /block-inf/ for information
on the java components and /cob-inf/ for all the remainding
cocoon-specific things, in order to be able to reuse existing avalon
code?

But how can I describe dependencies if one part uses implicit ones and
the rest uses explicit ones?

--
Stefano.