cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mounting blocks question
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:11:48 GMT

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 04:43 Europe/Rome, Geoff Howard wrote:

> We decided that wiring.xml would have entries like:
>
> <mount>/mail/</mount>
>
> How would this work for using hostname based mounting?

no. this concerns applies to the servlet hosting environment, there is
nothing we can do from this side of the Servlet API fence to trigger
virtual host configuration.

> Use case:
> http://mail.mydomain.com
> http://www.mydomain.com
>
> Two different applications, same cocoon instance.
>
> ....(mail block)
> <mount host="mail.mydomain.com">/</mount>
>
> ??
>
> .... (main site block)
> <mount host="www.mydomain.com">/</mount>
>
> ... (authentication block)
>
> <mount>/login</mount> (defaults to all hosts)

single sign-on, right?

yeah, thought about it extensively but no, we can't do it from this
side, unless we hook to a particular servlet container and we modify
its configuration files directly and not thru the servlet API.

and in a two-tier environment (think apache+tomcat), this is not even
enough, since the virtual hosts are configured in httpd.conf.

Is it possible to achieve the same functionality? yeah, you bet, with a
little tuning of httpd.conf, a few aliases and/or mod_rewrite URI
rewriting.

--
Stefano.