cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject [heads up] cocoon's defaults form-encoding and seerialize-encoding are inconsistent.
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:15:03 GMT
Hi all,

we seem to have a smaal inconsistency concerning encoding of HTML forms

- our HTML serializer by default is using the UTF-8 encoding.
(in fact it's set nowhere in the system and is thus left over to xalan
which most likely is going down the easy path of assuming the default
from XML land?)

- not setting the form-encoding parameter in cocoon's web.xml defaults
to assuming the browsers are sending the request params in the
ISO-8859-1 encoding (CocoonServlet.java line 500)

Suggested fix:
I'ld like to get rid of any possible mismatch between both defaults and
would like to propose to let the AbstractTextSerializer default to
whatever the form-encoding is reading.
(still have to look how the configure() could have access to that info)

What do people think?

Related discussions

* While at it, shouldn't we kinda default to UTF-8 anyway? even if that
is not the default encoding of the servlet-container? (some gutfeeling
argument: I think cocoon is closer to XML then to servlet-containers?)

* Why is the container-encoding also an init-param? isn't that fixed by
the servlet 2.3 spec?

regards,
-marc=