cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Developing samples
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:37:01 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mercredi, 29 oct 2003, à 15:41 Europe/Zurich, Unico Hommes a écrit :
>
>> ...I'd like to hear how
>> others are developing samples. Develop in the build directory and then
>> copy the changes back into the source tree?
>

> For samples that don't require compiling (i.e. XSLT or similar stuff), I
> usually setup a simple rsync loop to sync stuff every N seconds from src
> to build/webapp.

I had multiple cases of little tests which I sent down the bitbucket
drain by doing stuff in build/webapp and forgetting to sync afterwards,
and habitually doing an 'rm -rf build' after a cvs update. So yes, you
should try to avoid at all costs to do stuff in your build dir. 'build
webapp' sure takes some time, but in the end it appears to be the most
foolproof method. The thing about 'build webapp' is the annoying 10
second time lapse of the xpatch part, which might be because the it
tries to resolve the URI of the web.xml DTD - this is just a wild guess
however, it might also have to do with the documentation validation step.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org