cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Image-Based Authentication (Was: Re: [proposal] Doco)
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:27:46 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003, at 13:10 Europe/Rome, Steven Noels wrote:

<snip/>

>> We have seen similar abuse on the Cocoon wiki as well. Rather than
>> completely offload the burden of moderation to a bunch of people, we
>> should come up with an upfront facility for blocking automated abuse.
>> Similar to the facilities found in MSN Hotmail, Paypal and others who
>> use some generated image to validate sign up for their system, having
>> something like this Sapience thing might reduce the moderation burden
>> in the long run.
>>
>> It's cool for sure, but it might be some good way to make sure only
>> humans edit content, and not a bunch of malevolent bots.
>

> That is a *very good point* and I think you are perfectly right: we
> should put it into Doco. Any idea on how to do it?

I spent an afternoon implementing it. It's a complicated beast, and it
uses the intercepted flowscript in a big huge ugly hack... BUT... it
works, which makes me happy :)  Check it out at [1] -- please go easy on
it since this is my personal box at home and on my cablemodem.  I will
clean it up and add it to the samples once I get my CVS problems
straightened out.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ss9z

> --
> Stefano.