cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions about Meta Info
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:57:00 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>> What this means is that the @x-avalon-info should be considered
>>> differently for service interfaces (element name) and for classes
>>> ("type" attribute).
>>

>> No, it means that your interpretation of the configuration to get
>> at the short name would be different.
>

> Is there an easy way to find out what real class a given shortcut/role
> is associated with (resolving to)?  In
> digging into things in Cocoon now I and I'm sure others grep through the
> roles file and cocoon.xconf to find
> where to look for a given implementation.  I'm thinking it would be good
> to provide some way to trace back
> from a hint name or service type back to the concrete class.

When Fortress starts up, it spits out all that info in the log file.

However look at this as a strength.  Not too long ago I refactored some
libraries for my GUIApp application to put all the code in a different package.
With ECM, I would have to change the packages, change the roles file, and
hope that there were no conflicts between role files.  If the class name
were listed in a configuration file, then I would have to change that as well.

With Fortress, I only had to use the IDE's move refactoring support and the
same configuration worked with the new code--no other edits necessary.

It truly does bring more benefits than liabilities.

> Also,  the roles file defines default implementation which can be
> overridden in xconf.  Is this the same in fortress? If I want to replace
> the default implementation of transient-store with my own souped up
> version (you'll need to
> momentarily suspend your disbelief that I'm capable of coming up with
> one ;) ) how do I do that?
> Geoff

Yes, the xconf does allow you to override things--but what real-world
requirements would require that to happen?  I've been doing this for
years, and I can't really think of a reason.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin