cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:51:08 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:
> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>

>> In short: blocks should ease a Cocoon developer's life, and block
>> assembling should belong to the "programmer" domain. Normal users
>> should see only benefits from it. Or am I wrong?
>

> I believe that the benefits from real blocks will be so monumental to
> the way people work with Cocoon that every application should be
> packaged as a block/group of blocks.  Much of the pain of developing
> with Cocoon (more than the first little tinkering) goes away.  We need
> to make sure blocks are not scary to people,  but I don't think this is
> going to be difficult.  I'd propose waiting until we have a first
> working draft before further investigating alternatives which replace
> blocks.

Just to make things clear: I'm not advocating an alternative to replace
blocks, I'm a strong fan of it. I just think that blocks should ease
development of Cocoon apps, while not becoming the only way of working
with Cocoon. In the upcoming future I see lots of blocks being
interconnected by traditional sitemap editing as we're used to it now.

Sitemap (better: pipeline) inheritance goes in this direction: it's
perfectly OK and cool to have it within blocks, but I don't see why it
should not be possible even outside them. So I'm not stating anything
that goes against blocks: I'm just looking for a way to ease the final
user experience with Cocoon. Keeping in mind that the majority of users
won't make blocks, but rather just use them.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino