cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:22:22 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

รน>>>> To me, having inheritance only in blocks look a bit like saying that

>>> Mmmh... by "java.*", I understand that you consider that only the
>>> Cocoon team will define block interfaces. But everybody can define
>>> its own private block interface and its implementations and do
>>> whatever it wants with it. This only requires to have a local block
>>> librarian for those private blocks that is queried before the main
>>> Cocoon librarian. This is similar to setting up a classpath that will
>>> add your own classes to those in the JRE.
>>

>> Fair enough: I will be able to provide my own block, and so will you
>> and possibly everyone who reads this mail. But the problem is that
>> only people with "block librarian" skills will be able to use Cocoon,
>> if everything is packaged as a block. I'm afraid that this would just
>> scare people away, even before they can understand the huge benefit of
>> blocks.
>

> Sorry Gianugo, I meant no offense, and I see your point now.

No problem, I didn't see or take any offense in your reply. :-)

> The concern
> is actually about the ease of use of what we can call "local blocks".
>
> I had talks with Stefano about the need to have blocks non-archive
> blocks on the local filesystem for roundtrip time during development
> (you don't want to build a cob file to test each time you change a
> line).

Yes, definitely you don't.

> We can extend this behaviour to local blocks that allow
> "non-librarian-aware" people to use the blocks mechanisms without having
> to run a librarian server, package their blocks and all the associated
> stuff.
>
> Implementation-wise, this may mean that the block deployer can rely not
> only on a remote librarian server, but also on a local "blockpath" that
> is queried first before the remote server.

If this means "shielding" users from the need of having a block, I
completely rest my case. But we need to have backward compatibility to
what we have now: unpack war (or go to build/webapp) and work from
there. Anything more complicated, no matter what the advantages are,
would just be overkill to the average user.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino