cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:23:56 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>> To me, having inheritance only in blocks look a bit like saying that
>> you can extend only from java.*, while user classes have to be always
>> final. It's rough and inaccurate, but can you see my point?
>

> Mmmh... by "java.*", I understand that you consider that only the Cocoon
> team will define block interfaces. But everybody can define its own
> private block interface and its implementations and do whatever it wants
> with it. This only requires to have a local block librarian for those
> private blocks that is queried before the main Cocoon librarian. This is
> similar to setting up a classpath that will add your own classes to
> those in the JRE.

Fair enough: I will be able to provide my own block, and so will you and
possibly everyone who reads this mail. But the problem is that only
people with "block librarian" skills will be able to use Cocoon, if
everything is packaged as a block. I'm afraid that this would just scare
people away, even before they can understand the huge benefit of blocks.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino