cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:16:50 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 18:01 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
>> Is that OK to everyone?
>

> No. I still have to understand what's wrong with the sitemap inheritance
> that blocks introduce.

Probably I should be more aware of what kind of inheritance exactly
block introduce in your design. So far I haven't been able to find
anything explicitly oriented to pipeline reuse/inheritance: it's pretty
clear that components (classes) will be inherited, and the same goes for
resources, but what about pipelines? I'm not *that* sure that it makes
actually sense to inherit them by default.

But then again, I don't think that blocks will be enough, if blocks are
to be the only way to have inheritance. The final user won't package
every single application as a block, and even inside the sime
application she/he might find himself with more than one sitemap, not
being able to reuse preexisting logic.

To me, having inheritance only in blocks look a bit like saying that you
can extend only from java.*, while user classes have to be always final.
It's rough and inaccurate, but can you see my point?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino