cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Sitemap inheritance
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:01:14 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
> <snipped/>
>
>>The more I think about it, though, the more I feel that this solution
>>could be a usability boost for Cocoon. Probably hard to implement (even
>>if the components part already does inheritance), but still very useful
>>for complex Cocoon applications. And, in any case, even if _this_ is not
>>the solution, I think that we should provide a way to have
>>understandable and manageable sitemaps for complicated apps.
>

> I'd rather see a solution similar to component inheritance because there
> we have a clear anchor point to do inheritance. The pipeline inheritance
> you've expressed would indeed be hard to implement as it is inheriting
> at the matcher level which is already a final element in the sitemap
> DTD. So why don't we think about inheriting hole pipelines similar to
> components?

Yes, it absolutely makes sense. The only problem I see is name
collision: how do you handle the case when a user creates another
pipeline with the same name? This shouldn't be permitted, and an
(understandable) error should be fired. Apart from this, I'm perfectly
fine and I think it makes sense.

How about ordering? Should new matchers be appended to the extended ones
and overriden matchers be substituted? Is that OK to everyone?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino