cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Re: Mass update to components for Cocoon 2.2
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:25:42 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>> Ok, I am running into the following situation: Looking at
>> components.modules.input.AbstractMetaModule it defines that it is
>> Composable and assigns the component manager to a protected member
>> variable. A subclass, ChainMetaModule, uses the component manager to
>> lookup a dependency. This means ChainMetaModule should redefine the
>> compose()/ (->service()) method in order to declare its dependencies.

We should migrate to ServiceManager throughout.  It really isn't that
hard to do, and in fact, in most places in 2.2 it has already been done.

>> So, in order to avoid this I'd like to put the dependency tags above at
>> class declaration level instead of directly above the service() method.
>> Can I do this?

No.  Well, I should be more clear and say, "You can, but they won't be

> And while you're at it can you confirm whether or not tags are inherited
> by subclasses?

You know, I can't remember off the top of my head.  Let's add the Fortress
meta info collection task to the ANT build, and try it.  If it does attempt
to inherit dependencies, then there are certain caveats.  You shouldn't expect
it to find something in another JAR for instance.

I will say that it is a step in the right direction, but it is not perfect

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

View raw message