cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: [proposal] Doco
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:59:52 GMT
Stefano wrote

Kenny Smith wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> I think the overall concept for this project is pretty cool and very
> well thought out.
>
> The one part that stands out to me as a weak link is the "reply" vs.
> "reply to all" mechanism. It seems prone to human errors and to things
> like vacation messages. How would conflicts be handled (one person
> rejects and one approves)?
>
> At the very least, I would provide a mechanism that allows changes to be
> just as easily revoked as they were approved so that late that one night
> when someone accidentally hits "reply to all" instead of "reply" that
> they can easily fix it.

I can only join. Email workflow is bad in general, but additionally the
above system is to much error prone. We should at least use the body with an
explicite "accept" and "reject" in it. This can't be done by accident, while
it can happen for sending a mail. But even this I don't like much. What
about authorization? Are the committers registered with specific mail
addresses? What happens if the preferred address changes?

I would like to see a little application, where a link in the mail points
directly to the resource. The committer has to login and accept or reject
the change. So conflict situations can also be much better handled and
reverting changes should also be easier to be implemented.

This is still much easier than the current workflow with applying a patch,
committing to CVS, and so on, but less error prone than the above approach.

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG