cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Woody ...
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:43:11 GMT
I think you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be.
Please look at how JXForms does this. First it creates a continuation
immediately before and immediately after a page is sent to the browser.
The latter continuation behaves exactly like sendPageAndWait(). However,
by invoking the former you cause the page to be resent (and processing
to restart when that page is resubmitted). So:

1) If you invoke the current continuation processing continues after the
current page is submitted.
2) If you invoke its parent continuation the current page is resent to
the browser.
3) If you invoke the grandparent continuation the actions following
submission of the previous page are replayed.
4) If you invoke the great-grandparent continuation the previous page is
resent to the browser.

So to implement the "back" button, you invoke (4).

The idea is that instead of only encoding the continuation id in the
form or request url, you also associate a "forward" or "back" action
with the submit button. The form submits are _always_ submitted to the
same location, where some Java or JavaScript code looks at the
continuation id together with "forward" or "back" indication of the
submit button. If the indication is "forward" then you simply look up
the continuation associated with the continuation id and invoke it. But
if the indication is "back" then you invoke the great-grandparent of the
continuation. With this approach your example reduces to this (and most
importantly you don't have to explicitly code back/forward navigation in
your flow script):

function myWizard() {
    var wizard = new Wizard("wizard-spec.xml");
    wizard.show("first-page.html");
    wizard.show("second-page.html");
    wizard.show("third-page.html");
    cocoon.sendPage("finished.html");