cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: ParentAware Components Revisited
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:11:42 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I am still not clear on the purpose of Parent Aware components.  I
> can't really
> see any compelling reason for them, or even how to alot for them in
> the Cocoon
> container heirarchy.
>
> I am going to procede without them for now.

A ParentAware component has visibility on the component having the same
role in the parent container of its own container.

This is mainly useful for selectors, to allow selectors in a subsitemap
to _augment_ the selector with the same role in the parent sitemap.
Implementing component inheritance between sitemap and subsitemap is
then just a matter of having a ParentAware selector. Upon select(), this
selector looks first in its own set of components, and if not found,
delegates to the selector in the parent container.

As I understand it, Fortress may not need this mechanism, since selector
is replaced by a lookup on the manager with a "role/hint" string. This
means that components with "variants" (don't know how are called these
hinted roles) will automatically be inherited by the parent/child
relationship of the container.

Now I don't know how this fits with looking up a selector in the old ECM
way...

Sylvain