cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:19:11 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 14:07 Europe/Rome, Arje Cahn wrote:
>
>> I'm dreaming of an open source-Javascript
>> based-crossbrowser-SubEthaEdit-kinda editing tool.
>

> MultiLinotype?
>
>> If we put the document inside a 'contenteditable' field, and let some
>> Mozilla/IE compatible object communicate with the server in the
>> background, shouldn't that be perfectly possible?
>

> I'd rather use designMode/Midas-like approach of having a white canvas
> (an iframe in html) to play with. contenteditable tends to be a little
> too granular for free-form editing.
>
> It's possible, yes. Both mozilla and IE have HTTP subrequest components
> accessible from the javascript layer (actually mozilla cloned the IE
> ones, so portability is not a big issue there)

Would you really want that?  I thought we were pursuing this as a tool
for a virtual hackathon - wouldn't you rather a better editor?  I'd
think a jEdit or Eclipse would make for easier implementation _and_ be a
more useful environment.

> doable? digest this first
>
>     http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sun98operational.html
>
> and come back to me. This is the list of algorithms that they
> implemented in SubEthaEdit.

Been reading it.  Not yet digested... :)

I just finished the section describing the star architecture of Jupiter
which drastically simplified things.  I also wonder if a sort of "row
level locking" (well, actually line-level-locking) wouldn't do even
more.  I have the disadvantage of not having ever seen/used SubEthaEdit
-- is it really that useful to be able to have different people editing
the same line simultaneously?

> Scary to death, if I have to be honest.
>
> But *very* intellectually stimulating.
>
>> We might have to put every letter inside a div tag so we can insert
>> them in strange locations while typing somewhere else, but what the
>> hell, if it works... :))
>> Anyone in it?

I think that would be monumentally harder and not any more useful than
an existing editor which already has a Memento type of architecture
(which designMode and friends may but don't expose do they?)

> Count me in, but this is going to require *massive* thinking, expecially
> on how to reduce the problems of latency over the network.

The last thing I need is something else to play with, but I'm
interested.  I don't suppose SubEthaEdit is coming out with support for
other platforms?

Geoff