cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/servlet CocoonServlet.java
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:00:39 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:

>>If others are happy, I'm perfectly fine with this. It just felt as being
>>too much of a core change to be silently injected into the CVS commit
>>mails stream without prior notification/discussion on the list.

> You are joking, aren't you? This is not a core change, this is just a
> single additional information that is now available via the application
> context. Not more, not less.

Naaah - I didn't mean any bad, nor was it 'just a joke'. It's just that
accessing 'outside' information (like the RealPath of a file, servlet
mountpoint (both in a physical and URI way), and various
SourceResolver-related uses) sometimes feels a bit 'hacked onto the
system', rather than becoming an integral part of the 'Cocoon API'.
Bruno explained me the thing about ThreadLocal and the SourceResolver an
hour ago, and I felt these things try to circumvent (in their typical
usage) the fact that some info isn't readily accessible to certain
components (passed into them) in a proper IoC way.

But I'm really getting out of my league here. :-s

Not meaning any bad really, just curious (and willing to look stupid for
my ignorant wonderings).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org