cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Changing the mime type setting of a reader [was [RT]...]
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:21:54 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> - MIME type declared on the reader instance
>> - MIME type declared for the reader component
>> - Ask the Reader for a MIME type. A *.doc reader could peek
>> into the file
>>  and return either text/plain or application/vnd.msword.
>> - MIME type declared in WEB-INF/web.xml or by the server.
>>
>> Is anyone who already voted against swapping 2nd and 3rd item?
>>
>> Carsten
>
> Silent agreement :-)

Key thing is what is the maximum predictability for this?

What is the difference between point 2 and 3?  In essence it is how it is
written.  Are you caching the mime-type info?  Is this something that could
be cached on a per URL basis?  If so, then we can avoid costly calls to the
underlying medium for the Readers after we have identified it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin