cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fortress Migration Strategy
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:29:14 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The core reason for this approach was a performance/resource issue.  With
> a pooled component, we run into the problem of having several copies of
> this component for the same request for some reason.  In some ways this is
> unavoidable.  However the overhead of looking it up and releasing it
> multiple
> times resulted in alot of overhead.

FYI, Fortress component pooling is *far* better than the ECM.  Much less
synchronization overhead, and the pool grows naturally under load and
cleans up after itself as load goes down.  It could get smarter, but for
now it is better to see how things are doing.

Also note that the pool sizes are instrumented for you so that you can
attach the Avalon Instrument client to your Cocoon server and watch the
pool sizes for your avalon components under load.  Really cool stuff.

Merlin uses the same pooling mechanism as Fortress, but I am not sure
if the pool sizes are instrumented yet.  That could be an improvement to
Merlin to see in the near future.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin