cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/lib jars.xml
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:23:01 GMT

Geoff Howard wrote:

>> But a browse around ibiblio reveals:
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jms/
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jndi/
>>
>> exist but don't have any jars.
>

> And looks like Stephen knows why - I had assumed ASF was being
> conservative (wisely, I assume) and that ibiblio would be able to
> redistribute.

The ibiblio site is no different from Apache with respect to license
obligations. When the Maven project started its bid to TLP is basically
had to clean up its act bacause the content on ibiblio would by
implication be resource managed by an Apache PMC - i.e. due-diligence
required.  The Maven guys went though a process of cleaning up the
content on ibiblio.org/maven and the result of the cleanup is the
missing jar files.

> I guess the best bet would be to grab the openjms package which
> contains everything needed?  Unless it can be automated we'll need
> some work on the block to make sure it compiles and cocoon can start
> up without that part.  Not sure how to pull that off.

One approach you may want to consider is to package the content into a
bar file, register the bar in cvs, add an ant task to download and
expand the bar, and invoke bar expansion in the build. Providing you
access the resources via a local repository, you are respecting the Sun
licensing conditions because your accessing the resources relative to a
particular application context that has a legal usage engagement.  What
this means is that whoever packages the jms libraries (or whowever
accepts responsibilioty for the packaging) agrees to represent Sun
should a problem arise.  If the bar contribution to Cocoon is by a
committer covered by a CLA, then the responsibility for the application
usage rests with Apache.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell