cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: caching database generated pages / eventcache block to core?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:52:35 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:
> Christian Haul wrote:
>
>> On 13.Oct.2003 -- 03:02 PM, Geoff Howard wrote:
>>
>>> - Durable subscription handling.
>>

>> I think we need "at least once" semantics to avoid delivering dirty
>> caches. I've seen durable connections mentioned in conjunction with
>> subscribers that are offline. Cocoon shutting down would invalidate
>> caches anyway (and other program state), so is this really needed?
>

> Cocoon persists caches if configured to use persistent store (and if
> jetty is not used at least as configured in the bundled version).  So
> between that and network loss and reconnection, I've always thought
> durable subscriptions would turn out to be crucial.

Oh yes! I tend to forget these things :-| Sure, this requires persistent
delivery.

> Generally, I've thought the eventcache needs to be "fail fast" in the
> sense that if it encounters a condition that reveals that any events may
> have been missed the entire cache (or at least anything with Event based
> validity) needs to be invalidated.

Right.

About your idead of sending content with the messages -- at least if we
are talking about caches it is probably too difficult to use this data
to update the cache. But maybe we could re-request the same request that
filled the cache before? Or is that hashed into the cache key and can't
be reconstructed? OTOH doing that pro-actively could cause additional
load at high times... Not sure about this.

>> OK, I've put the sample in a new JMS block and created an action that
>> could send JMS messages. There's a JMSConnection (bad name) that holds
>> connection properties and instantiates a connection + session.
>
> Ok, I'll check this out.  When I went back to look at the JMS block on
> my HDD it was much thinner than I remembered it.  I'm sure I'll be able
> to factor anything it offerred in to what you've got now.

Don't hesitate to dump things as you see fit. I assume you know a lot
more about practical JMS than I do :-) (haven't *really* used JMS before)

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de