cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Separation of Blocks and Avalon
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:36:40 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Berin has expressed several times a confidence that the migration to
> Fortress could be relatively quick (though apparently he's suffered a
> minor back injury and is not completely convinced of his own sanity!).

I am much better now.  The pain is mostly gone, and I am only a bit stiff.

> How about this proposal:
>
> If Berin feels the migration can be quick (1 week?) we start a 2.2 repo,
> and let that be the only work that happens for that quick time frame in
> the 2.2 repo.  If possible we should all help with aspects of the
> migration so we don't "come home to a strange house" so to speak.

Absolutely.  I can outline what would need to be done to the components
so that the Roles file will not be necessary at all.  That way you guys
can take care of that detail while I work on the core infrastructure.

> If it bogs down, reveals nightmarish problems, etc. we have the option
> of wiping clean, moving on with blocks immediately on ECM and worry
> about the migration later.

True.

> In any case, we have to (don't we?) regard the migration off ECM as
> inevitable and a little pain now is better than a lot of pain later.  A
> lot of pain now is not better than the same amount of pain later.  Which
>  case we're in should be apparent if we try the path proposed above.

Fortress does get you further away from a whitebox kernel, and closer to
a more modular system.  For more complex things like Cocoon that has customized
ECM a bit, it isn't fully black box yet.  We will get there though.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin