cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Separation of Blocks and Avalon
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:29:44 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Potentially possible, but I wouldn't do it, we need to be able to keep
> the 2.1 tree clean.
>
> Berin, how long would you think it would take you to do the migration?

The simple migration will be fairly quick.  For instance, it would take
a couple of hours.  The additional features, however, would take a bit more
time.  90% could be worked around initially just by taking advantage of the
way current Servlet containers work.

> do you have a list of things that worry you most?

With help, I think we can migrate and stablize Cocoon 2.2 rather quickly.
Cocoon would still need to extend Fortress a little to get the dynamically
compiled generators (XSP) and such.  We also might need to create a new
LifecycleHandler for Request bound components.  The thing is passing the
request object to the handler.  We could do this with a more dynamic
Context object, or we could use the Lifecycle Extensions API, or we could
do a bit more like current ECM is operating.

These things will take some time to shake out the details for a better/pure
environment, but Cocoon would be usable after the initial port.  The XSP
might be a disabled for a day or two, though.

> BTW, why can't we do the migration *after* we implement the blocks?

We can do it whenever you like.  I just need to know when you guys want it.
When I have the green light, I will start working on it.

> I mean, we have a system that works and a design that improves. cocoon
> needs block far more than it needs a migration to a more modern avalon
> container.

:)  You know, I have a feeling that the more modern Avalon container will
open up the doors to things you may not have thought possible beforehand.
I think you will find the new container and blocks will have a symbiotic
relationship.  Whichever you choose to implement first is up to you.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin