cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon news feed?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:45:32 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mardi, 14 oct 2003, à 10:08 Europe/Zurich, David Crossley a écrit :
>
>> ...Gee, i am not sure what you are talking about Steven.
>> Why do you think that a "blogging tool" is needed to do a simple
>> publishing of news snippets? And why do you think that it needs to
>> be a live webapp? We can still get prompt publishing using the
>> current Forrest CLI generation of Cocoon xdocs....
>
> Let me outline my thoughts about what I think we need (are these
> concerns shared by the way?)
>
> -Publish more-or-less-weekly news about Cocoon, write something even
> if it's to say "not much happened", to keep in touch with other
> projects, users, etc.

Is commit to CVS okay?

> -A very easy way for committers to publish news. I know Forrest
> generation is easy, but how does the complete cycle look, from
> "writing two lines of news" to "published in the RSS feed"? Just to
> clarify, assuming only the news.xml file is modified.

Forrestbot run every night? Or triggered when you've made a change?
Surely that'd be simple enough? And with timestamp testing (either in
CocoonBean or Ant), you can only upload changed files.

Similarly, presumably we could set up two sites: one for news (single
page: news.html) and one for everything else. That way, if news is what
changes most frequently, it can be done in a few seconds.

>> ..http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html
>> Already has an RSS version...
>
> Cool - then we'd only need to enable this for news.xml as well, and
> make a prominent link to it on the front page.
>
> I volunteer to do the necessary changes if needed (but not right now,
> very busy - say beginning of November).

Surely this'd be a piece of cake for someone who understands configuring
ForrestBot, and wouldn't require any code changes at all.

Regards, Upayavira