cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: A new Ant task
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:58:54 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> I am completing coding of an Ant task that integrates nicely with the
>> Cocoon Bean. Its features include:
>>
>> 1) It shares the cli.xconf interpreting code with Main.java (the CLI)
>> 2) The xconf configuration can be embedded into your Ant build
>> script, and variable substitution can happen wherever you want.
>> 3) You can either supply a classpath to the Cocoon task, or it will
>> implicitly derive one from the context directory provided.
>

> Sounds great.
>
>> I propose to commit it to CVS as a separate (very small) block. That
>> way, a single jar file will be created, with that being all that must
>> be referenced within the Ant <taskdef> node.
>>
>> Does creating a separate block seem the best way, or should it just
>> be in the bean package?
>

> Can you clarify - does it require the bean to be useful?  How many
> classes are there in the task code?

Yes. It is basically a wrapper for CocoonBean, much like Main.java (the
CLI) is a wrapper for the CocoonBean,

It was two, it is now one. And I've decided that, given that it is being
started from Ant, and Ant is pretty good at dealing with Classpaths, and
you need to specify a classpath for the CocoonTask - it is no more
complicated to set up a classpath for the whole of Cocoon as compared to
just this Ant task. Therefore, I'm preparing the code to commit it to
the root package (org.apache.cocoon.CocoonTask), alongside Main.java,
i.e. without a block. 300 lines of code doesn't justify a block on its
own, I think :-)

Hope that makes it more clear.

Note - this is very much a first stab, and will no doubt need
improvement, but at least it now works!

Regards, Upayavira