cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Improved navigation of learning objects
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:57:26 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 16:13 Europe/Rome, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>
>> The trouble with Wiki and docs is that new users, such as myself,
>> are going to look for a documentation outline. A good TOC and index
>> makes all the differnece in the world when searching documentation.
>

> eheh, right on.
>
>> Has anyone discussed how to impose an outline on a Wiki?
>

> yes. there are some proposals on the table, ranging from simple to
> futuristic.
>
>                                 - o -
>
> the simple one is a manually created single-dereferencing linkmap.
>
> Imagine that you have a repository with the following learning objects:
>
>  /1
>  /2
>  /3
>  /4
>
> which are edited and created individually. Then you have a linkmap
> that basically says
>
>  Trail "A"
>    /1
>   Section "Whatever"
>     /3
>     /4
>   Section "Somethign else"
>     /2
>
>  Trail "B"
>    /4
>    /1
>
> Trails are like "books", and they might share LOs. Trails might be
> published as a single PDF file for easier offline review.
>
> Trails can be used as "tabs" in the forrest view, while the rest is
> the navbar on the side.
>
> the LO identifier (http://cocoon.apache.org/LO/4) can be translated to
> a real locator (http://cocoon.apache.org/cocoon/2.1/A/introduction)
> and all the links rewritten accordingly.

I like being able to have meaningful URLs as this is something that I
can remember (yeah, my bookmarks file is in my head). On the other hand,
this also means that a single LO will have several URLs depending on the
considered trail.

What would be good is to have in the page displaying a LO the list of
the trails where this LO appears (i.e. it's other URLs). This would
allow to explore other trails related to a given subject, and hence help
to achieve the cognitive dissonance required to engrave the LO in the
reader's mind.

<snip what="super great RT"/>

Sylvain