cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <martin.ka...@curalia.se>
Subject [newbie] UrlExistsSelector
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:06:18 GMT
Greetings developers,

  as a newbie to the wonderful world of Cocoon sitemaps I was struggling
with the problem of using a selector to determine if an external HTTP
URL was available.

* Problem description:

A pipeline matcher with the following steps is triggered:
1. XSP generation
2. cinclude transformation
3. XSLT transformation
4. HTML serialization

The cinclude in step 2 triggers another cocoon pipeline. XSP snippet:
<ci:include src="cocoon:/(name of pipeline #2)"
xmlns:ci="http://apache.org/cocoon/include/1.0"/>

Pipeline #2:
1. (what I wanted) map:select and generation based on status of external
HTTP URL
2. XSLT transformation
3. XML serialization

* My soloution:

I was first trying the map:select with the
org.apache.cocoon.selection.ResourceExistsSelector until I found out
that this was only for content within the current servlet context.

I then wrote the attached (trivial) UrlExistsSelector and used this one
for step 1 in pipeline #2.

This works, but might have som implications in security/performance (no
timeout handling) etc. etc. that I just don't see because I'm new to Cocoon.

Any comments? Other soloutions?
TIA,
  Martin

--