cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Separation of Blocks and Avalon
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:44:46 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> BTW, why can't we do the migration *after* we implement the blocks?
>
> I mean, we have a system that works and a design that improves. cocoon
> needs block far more than it needs a migration to a more modern avalon
> container.
>
> --
> Stefano.

This sounds like a good idea, since we seem to have a much more mature
idea of what the blocks implementation entails than the container change.

One reason we might consider a new container first is that it might
simplify the block design.  One thread that is still active talks about
how to expose classes to other blocks.  This requirement might go away
completely if blocks can access java in other blocks only through the
avalon container, and we decide that any java code the block wants to
provide must be packaged using a standard format.

The risk is that the container upgrade is very complex and time
consuming, causing all the good ideas about blocks to be put on hold.

Of course ultimately the people doing the work will make the decision :)

--
Ryan Hoegg