cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Renaming Woody to "Cocoon Forms" ?
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:15:35 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Which is a nice example, here, btw: the OT team proposed an alternative
> flow control concept and an alternative form framework, the community
> considered the first inferior to what we already had, but considered
> superior the second and promoted it as "official".

Adapting to better reflect historical accuracy: no single line of Woody
was written until _after_ Bruno's form proposal was discussed on the
list. So in the end, the proposal was about design, and not about a
finished code package being donated to the project. I tend to believe
that this is exactly the reason why Woody has been able to grow into
Cocoon Forms.

> [at the hackaton, there was a discussion on why the REST-based approach
> that Marc proposed cannot be matched one-2-one with the flow approach.
> Marc agreed that his idea of continuation and the current continuation
> are different concepts and forcing them into the same terminology might
> stretch the paradigm too much]
>
> No matter what the result was, I think forcing people with one solution
> forced  discussions to happen, which helped all the parties involved,
> even to understand thing that were not previously understood by both sides.
>
> This is why having one official direction on the various areas is
> good(tm) and having a simple name for it "cocoon sitemap" "cocoon flow"
> "cocoon forms" would help our users to choose and feel more protected
> and a more solid foundation.

+1 - let's go for "Cocoon Forms" - even if I feel kind of sad seeing the
name I suggested going away. Oh well - it's about seeing you kids grow
up, I guess.

Bearing in mind the amount of work that requires a _real_ renaming, like
changing package names, namespaces and all that - who's going to do that?

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org