cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [RT] Virtual components and JXTemplate
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:35:00 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>Stephan Michels wrote:
>>>Just another thought,
>>>I noticed that the JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer implements both
>>>contracts: generator and transformer. It should be easier to
>>>implements this component as transformer, and offer this transformer
>>>also as virtual generator.
>>><map:transformer type="jx"/>
>>><map:generator name="jx">
>>> <map:generator name="file" src="{@src}"/>
>>> <map:transformer name="jx"/>
>>>I should mention that I already rewrote the this components to be a
>>>transformer only, but only for the xpath syntax. If thers is any
>>>interest I could commit it.
>>AFAIU, the use of JXTemplate as a generator allows the template to be
>>pre-analyzed and stored into the cache, thus allowing a greater
>>performance. This cannot be achieved with the transformer.
>>There are use cases where templates are dynamically computed. In these
>>cases, you can either use the JXTemplate transformer or use the
>>generator with a cocoon: source. In that latter case, you also benefit
>>of the fact that the cocoon: source may be cached as well.
>Yes, but the problem is that the output of the JXTemplate is high
>dynamic, and isn't cachable, so I make most of transformations before
>like i18n and some other.

That's why I was suggesting to use a "cocoon:" source as the input of
JXTemplateGenerator: this allows the template to be cached. The other
solution is to use CachingPointPipeline.

>There is also some other thing, the newest jvm are optimized to dispatch
>great numbers of small classes, like the classes, which be used to store
>the events.

Sorry, what do you mean by "dispatch great number of small classes" ? Is
it that about the handling of small short-lived objects ?

Orixo, the opensource XML business alliance  -

View raw message