cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Using modifiers within Cocoon components
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:32:27 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> I like this as well. internal-only="true" sounds hacky.
>>

>> +1, but someone mentioned using
>>
>>   access="private"
>>
>> instead, which is clearer.
>> "modifier" does not convey the exact meaning.
>

> I like access="private" and access="public".
>
> - Which is the default if none is specified? (public)
>
> Hmmm, on second thought,
>
> uri access : @internal-only
> block access : @access
>
> are these two orthoganal concepts named deceptively in the case of
> pipelines?  @access is not meant to imply whether a pipeline can be
> accessed but whether it can be extended or used outside the block.

I think your analysis is right: @internal-only is related to the origin
of the request, while @access is about inter-block relations. It may
make sense to have a pipeline with internal-only="true" and
access="public", meaning it's not visible from the non-Cocoon world
(i.e. only through "cocoon:" requests), but that other blocks can use it.

> If we never envision anything other than private/public would
> something like block-private="true" convey more meaning?
> block-access="private" might do the same but leave freedom for other
> than private/public.

Blocks can be extended, and so having "protected" along with "public"
and "private" may be needed. I don't see a need for "package"
visibility, though.

Sylvain