cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <>
Subject [RT] Separation of Blocks and Avalon
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:22:54 GMT

I've been following the block design discussion and wiki evolution with
great interest for a couple months now (blame Geoff).  Blocks look
wonderful, and I can't wait to develop my cocoon based applications as

I have a concern about the bundling of exposed avalon services with
blocks.  Specifically, in the recent thread about "Finishing the First
Phase of Block Design" and on I see some
duplicated effort.  As Stephen McConnell noticed, some of this
functionality is already built, tested, and maintained in several avalon
containers.  Why not package avalon blocks/services/components in the
way the container expects, and include them somewhere like /COB-INF/lib
or /COB-INF/public/lib?  Or, even cleaner separation can be had in some
cases by deploying them to the avalon container independently.

If things are done this way, the problem noted in the thread I mentioned
above could be completely avoided.  There would be no need to expose
classes through the block interface because all java would be exposed as
avalon services.

I think this would simplify the block design greatly, and allow us to
focus on cocoon-specific aspects.

Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

View raw message