cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:25:33 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>><snip />
>>
>>>Does anyone know of an IRC client that's not blocked by a firewall?
>>>Or is it possible to use irc via my apache account?
>>
>>you could tunnel through ssh (I guess ssh gets through your firwall)
>>

> Yes. How does it work? Can you please expand a little bit?

you first need to reset the domain resolving for "freenode" for instance:

On Linux:

# su
# vi /etc/hosts

Add the following line:
127.0.0.1 irc.freenode.org

then you can create the tunnel by
ssh -l carsten -L 6667:irc.freenode.org:6667 www.apache.org

(well, you might need to replace the username and hostname)

and then you should be able to use "chatZilla" for instance just as you
would be using it without a firewall.

HTH

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya