cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Struts is a Software Fashion?
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:27:47 GMT
Interesting article, most of you probably already read it since it was
posted on Slashdot.  It calls Struts a "software fashion":

http://www.softwarereality.com/soapbox/softwarefashion.jsp

"However for many uses, the Struts framework is just too complex. It's
just entity beans all over again. When Java was introduced we were
promised no more knives and daggers. Just like EJB, Struts introduces
unnecessary levels of indirection through a web of XML. In JSP, to get a
simple view or edit form up is quite easy, using Struts makes things
twice the work. Simple forms are more complex and complex forms are more
complex still."

"It is likely that Struts will either be replaced with a simpler
alternative (probably JSF), or backtrack down the simplification route
that EJB is now treading. In particular, Struts needs to reduce its use
of XML."

Which brings up the issue -- Will Cocoon ever be "fashionable" in the
bad sense?  How can we prevent it from becoming fashionable in a bad way?

Regards,

Tony