cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Building useful release notes (was Re: [GT2003] heads up: Hackathon schedule updated)
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:40:58 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez dijo:

>>>http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html ?
>>>

>>The change list is really too much low-level and hardly readable by
>>someone that doesn't follow the dev list every day.
>>
>>We could classify changes with a new attibute
>>importance="minor|medium|major" so that we can build usable release
>>notes automatically. Of course, the changes going in the release notes
>>will have to be in "clear" text in order to be understood by the
>>majority of people with average Cocoon knowledge.
>>
>>Something that's needed also is categorizing the changes to easily
>>identify the area of Cocoon where a change occured. A simple way to
>>achieve that would be for each block to have it's own status.xml file
>>(this will be needed anyway when blocks will have their own CVS repo).
>>
>>With these two simple categorization criteria, building some useful
>>release notes will become really easy.
>>
>>What do you think ?
>>

>Yes in general. But all the changes are important, sometimes somebody is
>looking for a very simple fix that for him it is the most important.
>
>I also read the link above. I think we really need a better release notice
>with a changelog. :)
>
>[RT] We already have a clasification: add, update, fix.
>
>Maybe we does not need to introduce a new clasification. We can show
>change in the follwing order: Add, updates, fixes.
>
>If we add a new clasification (current + proposed), it will add
>complexity. We will have at the end 3x3 categories of bugs. That is not a
>good idea.
>
>My proposal is to create a change autogenerated based in the current
>categories.
>
>Is that OK?

No, because add/update/fix is related to the kind of activity that
happened, but not to its importance regarding the evolution of the whole
Cocoon system.

People looking for a particular bug fix are those that can read the
current kilometer-long release notes. We need a higer-level release note
that shows the global direction in which Cocoon is evolving.

Sylvain