cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: block perspectives
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:05:06 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>> That and how is the Cocoon block definition conflicting with Avalon
>> definition for blocks.  I believe there is some conflict, and since
>> it seems that the Cocoon community doesn't want to have a two way
>> compatibility going on with Cocoon blocks,
>

> It's not that we don't want only, it's that it doesn't make sense to use
> a Cocoon block in a generic Avalon container.
>
> In fact the suggestions were to keep a common place but distinguish on
> DTD, so that future convergence could be easier. If you prefer the more
> clear-cut solution, I have no problem with it.

I believe Stefano made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to waste time
collaborating on the DTD or other block semantics.  That's fine, but that
also means that you guys are pretty much operating with what should be
considered proprietary APIs/packaging requirements.  To that end, you should
put proprietary information in a proprietary location.

Believe me, it is easier to merge when it is clear what is being merged.
When the lines are less clear, you tend to start assuming one side of the
equation already does something when it doesn't.  Assumptions==bad.  I would
rather make it painfully clear what is a Cocoon semantic and what is an
Avalon semantic so that when the time comes to merge, we can.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin