cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Re: followup (offlist)
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:28:34 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Jeudi, 2 oct 2003, à 11:56 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :
>> ...Why should we spend months in trying to come up with a solution
>> that makes both Avalon and Cocoon happy for blocks instead of just
>> implementing a design that we already spent almost a year designing?
>> for what?
>> Anyway, the above is *my* personal vision. I would like to hear what
>> others think as well.
> I agree - with all the recent activity on blocks design, it would be a
> bad time to try to synchronize the design or implementation with another
> project.
> Once implemented, relevant parts of the Cocoon Blocks can be
> incorporated into Avalon if it makes sense, as it already happened with
> some components.

Here is the deal, though.

Certain aspects such as the BLOCK-INF/ directory structure are already in
use with other systems.  As such, your blocks would create some conflict
with folks who think they can use the same block in both places.

If you really don't want help with your blocks proposal, fine.  We aren't
going to force our hand on you--but as long as you are being proprietary
and are not interested in collaboration at this time, try to use something
that is not likely to conflict with other projects.

For instance, if you changed BLOCK-INF to COCOON-INF, then it is very clear
that the Cocoon solution is proprietary to Cocoon, and noone should expect
a Cocoon block to function the same way in a Merlin/Phoenix environment.

If you can do that much, we will leave you alone and let you develop in
peace.  The thing is, using the BLOCK-INF directory is a net liability for
both of us--and blindly dismissing that would be a bad thing IMNSHO.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

View raw message