cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Disappointed about avalon usage
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:15:52 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Michael:
>
> A couple of comments - the issue of the Component interface was
> addressed 12-18 months ago with the introduction of the service
> sub-package in the framework.  The Component interface along with the
> entire component sub-package is now depricated.  The replacement
> org.apache.avalon.framework.service makes things *much* easier and
> eliminates many restrictions that exited in the past.  On the other
> hand, you comment concerning selectors reflect on something that
> continues to bug me.  I don't like selector sementics, and I think they
> should be removed from the framework (in their current form), but I
> don't have a migration stategy in mind.  Buttom line - in my personal
> opinion - selectors are a weak link in the framework container/component
> contract.
>
> Stephen.
>
> (Avalon developer).

Keep in mind that Fortress provides a way around the whole Selector
concept, and makes things sooo much easier to manage.  We also hope to
add some compatibility layer of Fortress with Merlin so that you can
move forward.

The selector concept will eventually become obsolete like the component
package--but we are still looking at the different use cases surrounding
their use.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin