cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Disappointed about avalon usage
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:05:24 GMT
Michael Lipp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> having studied the avalon concepts some time ago, I just came upon a
> point where I wanted to take advantage of them and failed. Let me tell
> you why.

<snip/>

> I admit, I have no great experience with Avalon. But to me it seems
> that the moral of this is that anything designed as an Avalon
> component should not use package visible methods of other classes
> unless those classes are only very private helpers. Otherwise you do
> not really get configurable components.

Your analysis is right, and I also faced the exact same problem some
time ago (was with 2.0.4) when writing a SourceLessProgramGenerator to
have an XSP engine using only precompiled XSPs. I also found a that time
that a bit of refactoring quickly leads the GeneratorSelector to
disappear and be replaced by a simple HashMap.

I should go back on this and cleanup this package... or maybe you want
to send a patch ?

Now an important point is that you aren't disappointed by Avalon (its
concepts and the implied benefits), but by usage mistakes in a
particular usage of it. Am I right ?

Sylvain